Monday, June 17, 2013

So They Proposed Two Men



Royal Priesthood, Holy Nation                                        Acts 1:23
So They Proposed Two Men
by Robert T. Cooper

Face it! There’s a whole lot that the Bible doesn’t tell us.

There’s a cartoon on the internet with a caption that reads something like, “Prior to the election of the replacement apostle, they went through several rounds of narrowing down the candidates using the latest high tech methodology.” The picture in the cartoon is of two men in 1st century biblical attire playing “Scissors, Paper, Stone” (or whatever name that folk game is going by at this time).

And while I am confident the narrowing process wasn’t done by that particular game, one has to consider how many people were actually qualified to serve and how they finally narrowed it down to these two. And when in the process were they asked whether they would serve if selected? We simply don’t know.

But it is not uncommon in the Scripture for questions placed before God to be put into “one or the other” terms. It is always either “my side or their side,” “yes or no,” “this or that,” “this one or not.” So perhaps there is something for us to learn about how to put questions to the Lord after all.

I guess I am too steeped in probability theory to make most decisions by casting lots. But I can often pray in that binary sense and watch for how the Lord answers. It has even happened to me that I asked the Lord to put one of the answers in my mouth; when the time came I intended to give one answer, but was surprised to find the other answer coming out of my mouth. In every case, I have known with confidence it was the Lord who brought that about. Yes, I have found He is trustworthy in that regard.

So the next time you have a question to present to the Lord, why don’t you try asking in that binary fashion? See how He answers. And perhaps you can do so at church business time too.

What has been your experience presenting binary questions to the Lord? What questions are you facing at this time that you could present to the Lord in a binary fashion? We’d love to get your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment