Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Known Languages



Royal Priesthood, Holy Nation                                          Acts 2:4
Known Languages
by Robert T. Cooper

When The Gathering in the Mountains was a mission church, we agreed we would base it on the Scriptures. Wherever the Scriptures took us, we would go.

So I was a little nervous when it came to the study of I Corinthians. I was certain that at some point in the study I would come to a verse that would require the acceptance of what in Pentecostal and charismatic circles is today called “tongues.”

Now, don’t get me wrong. I have friends who engage in that practice. I even had a friend long ago who told me God wanted me to have that “gift.” The Lord takes them down their paths; He has taken me down my path.

But we were talking about what the official doctrine of a Southern Baptist Mission Church would be. And so I began preaching through the book. But each time I came to a mention of tongues, the interpretation of known languages was possible. There was no time in which the only possible interpretation was modern-style “tongues.”

So after awhile, I went back and studied again through Acts to see whether known languages was a valid interpretation of every mention of tongues in that book. Sure enough, it was.

In Acts 2:4, the translation “tongues” is footnoted to include the alternative “languages.” My advice is that we just use that alternative all the time. That way we can be clear about what is meant.

And even if I am wrong, on the Day of Pentecost we are certain those were all known languages, for those languages are specifically listed. Also the Scripture says that native speakers of those languages understood what was being said.

Point the last: the Holy Spirit brought this about. He was accomplishing His ministry by doing so.

There are modern stories of people who were enabled to witness in languages they had never studied. If you are familiar with any of those stories, or if it has happened to you, please share with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment